August 13, 2015

What a busy summer!  With the tractor shed finished, we set to work adding our solar panels in our ongoing quest to get more self-sufficient.  We are almost finished, but every time we think we are almost there, something else crops up.  This is when we were getting started.  We bought a bunch of used solar panels with the intention of putting up 72 of them.  We bought a prewired box that came with the circuit breaker boxes.  We are trying to put in a 48 watt system.  Our son who is an electrical engineer, is giving us advice and help to set up the system safely. As they were used panels, the first thing we had to do was clean them so the panel could see as much light as possible.  Then we brought them out into the light to test the voltage.  All except for a few, we were getting from 18 – 20 volts from.  We currently have up 17 four panel sets (they are 12 volts and we had to connect them in a set of four for 48 volts.)  All the while we were doing this, we moved our youngest into her new apartment and we have been putting up vegetables from the garden.  Leah Apartment on my pinterest page that you can access from the pinterest button on this page has picture’s of my daughter’s apartment.  We have put up 33 quarts of corn, 6 gallons of sliced bell peppers, a couple of assorted other sliced peppers and some blueberries in the freezer.  We have made about 16 quarts of spaghetti sauce, about 23 quarts of green beans, 6 quarts of squash, about 8 quarts of bread and butter pickles, and about 10 pints of okra pickle.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *